4.27.2005

Ava Thursday: Mommy in Color


Andrea and I both agree that this is one of our favorites of Ava's drawings. I love the way that she drew Mommy (drawn back in October) with such an array of colors. I like the little details in the eyelashes, the way that they make the face so expressive. And I like the fingers and toes wrapping around the appendages. Very cute. Notice how she separated the different sections -- the head and the body both have distinct shapes, a circle and a triangle, respectively. And again, the colors! So colorful and vibrant. Love it.

When I began scanning this image, I didn't even notice that there was something on the back, until I turned it over. Looks like our little artist was very proud of her work and signed it, along with sealing it with a kiss.

6 comments:

  1. it is a both an honor and a pleasure to be the subject of one of ava's drawings... now, if only I could re-create this look in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Andrea does have some serious blue dimples, or cheeckbones. Not sure which.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing to me how intuitively children grasp the business of design and constrution in a character. It's a wonderful aesthetic that seems almost entirely the result of young motor skills not being able to exactingly transfer the child's innate sense of proportion and balance to the sketch pad. Sadly, it seems that this sponteneous and freewheeling look is so often and easily dulled as the young artist grows and learns to rely on rendering tricks that are visually slick, but lack the harmony and charm of such a sketch.
    Neat-o.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's the pose she's captured that I find amazing, just wow that she drew herself not only up on tippy toes but especially that her legs are placed way to the side, a bit off balance, it so exaggerates that feel of a child having to stretch up to reach your face.

    I have such difficulty with poses . . . . um. . . is Ava available for consultation ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. how old is she? four? i'm amazed how well she places everything in the right places and can even write her name already. will my 3yr old be doing that in a year? it's hard to imagine. it's a great picture ava!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful picture. I love the lips!

    ReplyDelete